The urban plan’s innovation that will lay the foundations of the future City Airport of Resort and Research in Alhaurin de la Torre is completely adapted both to the General Urban Development Plan of 2005 (PGOU) and the Conurbated Territory Development Plan (POTAUM).
The urban plan goals to be reached respond, with a non-exhaustive character, to the following statements:
FUNCTIONALITY GOALS AND TERRITORIAL ARTICULATION
The main goal is to settle a rational urban planning based on external communications infrastructures, roads and railways and the metropolitan public transport, in order to achieve a perfect integration and territorial articulation for Alhaurin de la Torre and the functional space to which it physically belongs to. This rational planning is based on the elements described below.
- The outer ring roadof Malaga (Ronda Hiperxterior)– road interchange of Guadalhorce, in advanced progress, and its connection to the airport, represent an almost definitive solution to the road communications of Alhaurin de la Torre. The insufficient road communications with Malaga and the neighbour municipalities have historically constituted an obstacle to the socioeconomic development of this municipality.
- Additionally, the formalisation of the project, as a major metropolitan axis, with the Cartama to Churriana road (pista de Confederación) for a new access to Costa del Sol, creates a new transversality between the valley and the coast which, at the same time, must also be formalised as a new potential axisfor activity and a wide range of uses, as well as a functional internal connection in Alhaurin de la Torre, in development and in compliance with the POTAUM.
- Together with the above mentioned “transversal” axis, the planning’s general internal road structure must be based on another fundamental road axis that connects the future city airport with the main urban agglomeration and with one of the access routes to the municipality from the metropolitan road structure: the “carretera de los polígonos” road, whose splitting has recently been implemented.
- The creation of a new strategic access point to the metropolitan transport (TM) from the metropolitan general structure in the surroundings of Zapata which would directly connect to the new production centres of Alhaurin de la Torre (city airport) to the airport itself and the university campus of Malaga, and would contribute to the introduction of a new municipal structuring road element between Zapata, Romeral and Torrealqueria.
- Pre-definition, as the planning second stage regarding POTAUMestimations, of a road reserve of over-municipal interest, for the connection of the axisAlhaurin el Grande-Alhaurin de la Torre to the Technology Park of Andalusia (PTA), structuring a part of the municipal territory and facilitating the formalisation of a new ring road within the framework of the present innovation.
- Soil reserves forecasting for the municipe´s railway public transport recovery. This will be possible thanks to the incorporation to one of the Malaga´s underground lines or the continuity of commuter trains and the coastal train to Alhaurin de la Torre in connexion with the airport and, in any case, a railway connection to the Metropolitan Area Public Transport network.
- The location in the areas nearby of a new potential node to access the metropolitan transport where many roads, the railway, the airport and underground will come together suggest that an integrated public transport network interchange is expected in this environment.
- The innovation is set up to collaborate with the formulation of the first Conurbated Territory Development Plan of Malaga, developing and completing its expectations for the lands and soils and contributing to the definition of the territory and urban definition of this supra-municipal environment.
SUSTAINABILITY AND ENVIRONMENTAL INTEGRATION GOALS
We pay fundamental attention to the ENVIRONMENT, starting from the maintenance of the quality of life that defines Alhaurin de la Torre and creating the required setting for sustainability, in which the urban planning we need for a good urban development is taken into account.
- Regardless of the quantitative limitations related to the urban growth that the rational urban planning imposes, and under the regulations and guidelines resulting from the land-use planning in each case, every type of qualitative limitation has to be imposed. This way the growth included in the planning will be justified and will resolve by itself and pointedly the inherent infrastructural and environmental demands.
- Some adjustments are permitted in the preventative protection plan Risks for the Guadalhorce because its limitation does not respond to the current objective reality, as we can deduct from the determinations in the POTAUM, which specifically excludes the ones regarding to the Malaga Province Physical Environment Protection Plan, and delimitates a new protected area in the surroundings of the Guadalhorce river and the Arroyo del Valle’s riverbeds.
Furthermore, the delimitation of the floodable areas needs to be upgraded after the interventions of canalization that were made on both of them.
- Inclusion of structural elements and articulators of the organization, even though it is an undeveloped land, specially protected in compliance with the existing legislation, of the hydraulic public domain acquired from estimated demarcations. Additionally, this public domain will be reinforced by the prolongation of the metropolitan transport (T.M.) of the River Park of the Guadalhorce River over the Arroyo Valley, as an element that will vertebrate the free spaces system of the city airport conforming an authentic peri-urban park.
- Integration of the urban planning in the pre-existing rural environment is to be preserved, created by green passages, ecological corridors and some other uses related to agricultural activity.
- The promotion of the use of solar energy, insufficiently exploited in Alhaurin de la Torre, and in Malaga´s province in general currently, and adopting any regulations when needed.
- The new settlements, especially concerning residential when plan-integrated, will be equipped with the appropriated conditions of isolation and protection regarding the emission of noise sources in the framework of the current legislation.
- The urban plan will take into account the application of the 9 indicators of sustainability (from “CIUDAD21”, Junta de Andalucía):
- Sustainable management of urban waste
- Urban water cycle
- Rational and efficient use of energy
- Improvement of landscape and green spaces
- Urban flora and fauna protection
- Air quality +
- Noise abatement measures
- Sustainable urban mobility
- Environmental education and citizen participation
INNOVATION OBJETIVS OF THE URBAN MODEL
The current population surpasses 36,000 inhabitants, and according to the projections, in 8 years a number of 50,000 inhabitants might be reached, which means it will widely duplicate the population existing in 1998.
Although the current urban model shows a high life quality and positivity classifies Alhaurin de la Torre in its territorial environment, some punctual adjustments might be made so that the model includes the above mentioned population growth that are part of this municipe. But in Alhaurin de la Torre there are great social and economic opportunities of growth, given its geographic location between the coast and the inner land and also in the expansion area of the capital and given its endogenic resources. This will favour the necessary “quality leap” improvement in the current model.
- With the formalisation of the City Airport it is easier to redefine this current urban model so that the dormitory-town will become a well-equipped residential city, introducing the necessary adjustments in the model to fulfil the expected population growth needs. The sustainable urbanism (maxim life quality) must be balanced.
- The evolution of the dormitory town to a well-equipped residential city requires the creation of companies and all types of services that help people settling down, and a range of alternatives to the residence that will provide job creation for this population and will complete the metropolitan options.
- The industrial parks axis, key element for designing the soil plan to be arranged, must be reinforced to provide new services at a metropolitan scale (business and leisure parks, productive uses, airport services, logistic and tertiary services, etc.).
- It is a territory of opportunities, although very sensitive, where the new and definitive road access to the municipe will be located. It obviously requires a careful design: image as the entrance to the town, pre-dimension with future vision to avoid traffic jams and irreversible saturation. The productive city installation in this territory (related to the airport for its proximity) has a double goal: on one hand, to respond to the above mentioned adjustments in the model, offering some more components foe economic activities; and on the other hand, to seal the majority residential growth for the area, avoiding the irreversible undermine of this strategic soil.
Consequently, it is intended to rationally complement the existing urban plan to develop new guidelines that match the territory planning.
- The creation of an internal structure example model designed, together with the recoverable cattle road sections, as a real road axis system and public free areas which will allow arranged and classified transit in its margins: pedestrians, bicycles, horses, railway, underground, etc. and also conventional road traffic. All the above mentioned helps avoiding, at the same time, the urban engineering image that is typical of this road elements, and providing the creation of an insulating cushion between the population settlements and the road traffic channels that produce noise.
- The new possibilities and urban techniques of PGOU regulations must be taken into account together with the higher simplicity and flexibility of the former Municipal Urban Plan Subsidiary Regulations (still applicable in Alhaurin de la Torre and partially adapted to LOUA). This is to obtain general systems, soil reserves for structure use and infrastructures, the organization and plan of the works that subsequently allow its management for the appropriate balance between the urban development and the creation of services.
- This development design must respond to a clear functional scheme, providing a recognisable and exemplar image which identifies the works.
METROPOLITAN CENTRALITY AND MUTIPLE USES OBJECTIVES
Centrality and diversity towards a metropolitan space in Alhaurín de la Torre through the creationof a network of new structural and productive uses.At the same time,these uses will impulse the local socio-economicdevelopment, and will provide the installation of complementary airport activities as well asthe formalization of a future airport city in the centre of an area under the triangle synergy of the Guadalhorce´s Valley-the Metropolitan Area-and theCosta del Sol.
- The only-residence function should be combined with milestone metropolitan and diverse uses. Alhaurin de la Torre should take advantage of its strategic location, in the metropolitan environment, and its life quality; but it also has to play its role in this area by providing centrality and diversity to the conurbation.
- Besides its productive and logistical uses linked to the airport activity, the planning should combine inthis environment the installation of tertiary, commercial and even residential activities, which will provide leisure and sport opportunities (high performance centre, eco-sportive city, gold, etc.), as well as tourist and cultural exhibition related activities. This means, opportunities which are integrated and frequently established in other existing or to be airport cities projects which are designed for the most important airport environments in the world.
- Alhaurin de la Torre will be to the Guadalhorce valley and the metropolitan area of Malaga, a modern industrial and business opportunity, but also a technological and complementary chance that will beadvertised in other towns nearby, with the airport activity in this case as a triggering motivation.
- This forwards-looking centrality in the metropolitan space of Alhaurin de la Torre is based on the above mentioned modern industrial activity formalized as a centre of events and urban services, with quality free spaces and leisure equipment linked to the metropolitan functionality and looking like a business park. In addition, this centrality must be compatible with the demand of small industrial activities resulting from the potential residential requalification of new industrial parks in Malaga, which are also a source of jobs creation.
- The city airport must be conceived and offered as service-dotation area because of its specialization incutting-edge industrial uses, business park, commercial and administrative services as well as sportive and airport activities. The multi-useof its representative installations in the surroundings of the road link with the technology park and airport will be a distinctive and structuring element of the supra-municipal metropolitan area as well as a key for its own functional and service system. The city airport should be itself and as a whole a real equipment.
If you need further information, please check on Alhaurin de la Torre City Council website. Ayuntamiento de Alhaurín de la Torre.